Monday, September 16, 2013

Is it possible to feel like you belong in two completely different worlds?

The answer to my questions is: Yes, it's possible!

I moved from Sweden to Santa Barbara early January 2012, which means that I have lived here for almost two years now. That's crazy to me, since I was so sure about the fact that I would stay 1 semester, and 1 semester Only. I would never have imagined staying here for 2 years.

There are a lot of swedes living and studying in Santa Barbara. I hear different numbers all the time so I'm not sure about this at all, but I think that there are about 400 Swedish students at SBCC.

In the beginning when I first arrived to SB, I found it comforting that there were so many of "my people" living here. It was like having a little bit of Sweden with me. Now a days, I still have many Swedish friends here but I enjoy spending time with Americans way more. I love the fact that this is a completely different    culture and how different Americans are from Swedes. I notice changes in my self too. I have grown. I am way more open, more confident and actually a whole lot happier now than when I lived in Sweden. In a way, I would call my self an americanized swede.

My hometown in Sweden.


After every semester, I go back to Sweden (for summer and for christmas). When I do that, the two completely different world crashes in to each other and I always feel very confused. Yes, I love living here and I am very happy but Sweden will always be my home. That's where my family and really close friends are and I love being home seeing them. So I love being home when I am there, and I feel like I belong there, just as much as I feel like I belong here.





Time will tell where I will end up in the future, and for now I'm just going to enjoy my life in this amazing town and focus on my studies. SBCC have taught me so so much and coming here is the best decision I've made in my entire life.


               
                                                                                  <--- Shoreline park by night











Shoreline park by day

1 comment:

  1. used to powerwalk through there when I lived there for three to four years ago. They are so beautiful there, they lack really.

    ReplyDelete