Monday, November 4, 2013

November fun

Hope everyone had a safe and fun Halloween, I did! Although, going out in my costume without a jacket on got me really sick. I started to feel a sore throat on Thursday that got worse, so I have been in bed almost the entire weekend. So unfortunately I missed Open Streets on Saturday, but I think it was really successful from what I have heard and seen.

But our Halloween party was so much fun this Thursday. A lot of people showed up and everyone was dressed up. We had a great time. Me and Louise wore matching outfits, we were angel and devil, and everyone loved our costumes. (That we got from Amazon.com btw, for $30 each. Good deal)

Anyway, it is November and I am starting to get Christmas feelings! I know I'm super early, but I love Christmas!  I can't wait to see State Street covered in lights and Christmas trees. But before all that, we have Veterans Day and Thanksgiving to look forward to.  The Thanksgiving food is amazing. I love mashed potatoes and gravy. And last year, we had a pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. Cheesecake is my absolute favorite dessert in the entire world so I was in heaven. I know that Trader Joe's on Milpas has a pumpkin cheesecake, so I'm thinking about getting one. Or five.


Back to Christmas for a second, I remember last year when I told my very good friend who is from Hawaii about the Christmas food we have in Sweden. He laughed at me and said "Malena, there is no such thing as a specific Christmas food". Well, there is in Sweden. We eat so much random stuff on Christmas Eve, it's insane. We mix everything from potatoes, sour cream, salmon, eggs cut in half with mayonnaise on top, to a big ham with mustard, swedish meatballs

 (of course), "beats salad" and potatoes, onions, cream and anchovies in a pan turned in to "Jansons Frestelse". Yummie, don't you wish you were swedish?! Haha. Oh, and the pictures show the train station in my hometown during December and the traditional "ginger bread house" my mom made last year, that all of us Swedes make for christmas!



Veterans Day is on Nov 11th, so we have next Monday off and last year there was a parade on State Street, and there will be one this year too, on Sunday the 10th at noon. Then around 12.45, 18 vintage and modern aircrafts will be flying over Cabrillo Blvd. Sounds really cool, I want to see it!




I felt a little bit better this morning, so I went out for a morning walk this morning and saw the beautiful sunrise. I will never get tired of that view, ever. I am so lucky I found this place and after two years in Santa Barbara, I feel more at home here than I do in Sweden.




No comments:

Post a Comment